PostgreSQL Release Support Policy

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Release Support Policy
Date: 2009-12-04 16:36:00
Lists: pgsql-announcepgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
After a great deal of discussion in the community, the project's core
team have written a policy outlining the support lifecycle for major
PostgreSQL releases, which can be found on the wiki with other project
policies at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Policies.

We hope this document will help our users plan their deployments more
effectively.

--------
The PostgreSQL project aims to fully support a major release for five years.

After a release falls out of full support, we may (at our committer's
discretion) continue to apply further critical fixes to the source
code, on a best-effort basis. No formal releases or binary packages
will be produced by the project, but the updated source code will be
available from our source code control system.

This policy will be followed on a best-effort basis. In extreme cases
it may not be possible to support a release for the planned lifetime;
for example if a serious bug is found that cannot be resolved in a
given major version without significant risk to the stability of the
code or loss of application compatibility. In such cases, early
retirement of a major version may be required.

End Of Life (EOL) dates:

Version			EOL Date
PostgreSQL 7.4 	July 2010 (extended)
PostgreSQL 8.0 	July 2010 (extended)