Re: Set statement timeout in the query tool

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Set statement timeout in the query tool
Date: 2009-12-04 09:52:33
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Someone, on a french PostgreSQL forum, ask me for a statement timeout UI in
> the query tool. Here is what I've done so far:
>
>  * add a config in the Query tab of the Options window;
>  * add a textbox in the toolbar of the query tool;

We certainly don't need both.

>  * each query executed will first get the old statement_timeout value, set
>   statement_timeout to the text box one (which is initialized with the config
>   value), execute the real query, and then get back to the old value

Why save/reset it? The next query will just change it again anyway,
and there's no way round that.

> I checked the UI on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

What's wrong with just setting it manually in the script anyway? There
are various parameters people might want to set, that we definitely
don't want to add UI for. I'll concede that statement_timeout is more
likely to be used than most others, but it seems to me that forcing it
to be set with every query is far less flexible than just setting it
as and when required in your script.

--
Dave Page