Re: Progress bar suggestion...

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Christophe Dupriez <christophe(dot)dupriez(at)destin(dot)be>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Progress bar suggestion...
Date: 2009-11-27 15:39:11
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Christophe Dupriez
<christophe(dot)dupriez(at)destin(dot)be> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am using PgAdmin III and really like it a lot.
> Some SQL queries are longer than other and I would like to suggest to have a
> smarter progress bar than the milliseconds counter.
>
> I would suggest (if user enables it) that a progress bar giving the % of
> completion of the evaluation steps.
> * An "explain" would be run first to know the steps of the query execution.
> * The execution would begin and the progress bar (% of completion) for each
> step would be updated every seconds or so.
>
> This would keep me (and many other) quieter when executing big updates or
> complex queries!

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what node is currently being
executed, nor how long it will take, or the progress through it. Greg
Stark was working on a way to provide that information from PostgreSQL
for exactly this purpose, but it's not entirely trivial.

Running an EXPLAIN first is out of the question, as that could add a
non-trivial amount of time to the overall query time.

--
Dave Page