Re: [GENERAL] CREATE TABLE LIKE and SERIAL

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] CREATE TABLE LIKE and SERIAL
Date: 2009-11-12 09:12:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-general

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le dimanche 1 novembre 2009 à 13:24:10, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>>
>> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

>> > I've just read this. I wasn't aware of this. Should we suppress this
>> > behavior of pgAdmin?
>>
>> Do you have a proposed fix? I suspect people won't want us to stop
>> showing columns as 'SERIAL' when they actually were created that way.
>>

> Other ideas than doing what pg_dump does? I'm afraid not.

pg_dump isn't designed to make the output look pretty, which is the
major issue here. We're trying to do both.

It seems to me that correctness trumps aesthetics, so we probably will
have to do what pg_dump does. Care to work up a patch?

--
Dave Page