Re: Re: BUG #5065: pg_ctl start fails as administrator, with "could not locate matching postgres executable"

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jesse Morris <jmorris(at)coverity(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Re: BUG #5065: pg_ctl start fails as administrator, with "could not locate matching postgres executable"
Date: 2009-10-21 07:45:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Seems like it would be worth the trouble to identify exactly what the
> critical difference is.

Given Jesse's description of the systems he's seen this on, I suspect
we'll be very lucky if we pin that down, unless it is something as
simple as win2k3+administrator+command line (which I'll try to test
shortly) - but that doesn't tally with the occasional cases of this I
still hear about (usually from our poker-playing users) who are using
the installer and Vista or XP as a general rule.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the entire OS and much of the
surrounding software (such as AV) is closed source, so we have no idea
what any of it is doing under the hood, or how it may have changed
from version to version.

--
Dave Page
PGDay.EU 2009 Conference: http://2009.pgday.eu/start