Re: Patch to allow the change of the connection in the server status dialog

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to allow the change of the connection in the server status dialog
Date: 2009-09-21 08:04:28
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This patch adds a connection toolbar to the frmStatus window. It allows one to
> change the connection used byt the various reports. It is mostly important for
> the locks report because it's the only way to get the name of locked
> relations.
>
> One thing that bugs me is the log report. It needs to keep the connection to
> the maintenance database because it's the only database where we require to
> have the adminpack functions. Should we keep two connections (one on the
> maintenance database and the one selected in the combobox)? or should we allow
> the change of connection for the locks report only?

I think we should use the maintenance DB as much as possible, and just
use the user-selectable connection where needed. BTW - it looks like
the patch as-is doesn't prevent the user from selecting an entirely
different server. If the user does that (which doesn't seem entirely
unreasonable), we need to switch the maintenance DB to the new server
too.

--
Dave Page