Re: First CommitFest: July 15th

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First CommitFest: July 15th
Date: 2009-07-02 11:11:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2009, at 3:41 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Josh Berkus<josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Robert, I have not reviewed your software.  Do I need a login or
>>> something?
>>
>> It's not in productions yet as It's not been documented or given a
>> public hostname/servicename, both of which are requirements for any
>> postgresql.org services. As far as I'm aware, there's been no code
>> review yet either, which would probably be a good idea.
>>
>> Which reminds me - that pentabarf installation is getting dangerously
>> close to being shut down...
>
> How do you recommend that we try to address these issues?

Suggest a suitable name by which we can address the service (we don't
use the internal names like coridan because things can get moved
around), and I can set that up in a few minutes.

The documentation is the important bit as we don't deploy any service
without proper documentation any more (see pgFoundry for reasons why
not). We don't have a fixed format for that - what we need is a
description of what software is installed, how it's configured, and so
on. Enough that any of the sysadmin team can figure out in a couple of
minutes where the database is and how to access it, or what webserver
is being used and how to restart it etc. It should be enough that in a
pinch we can rebuild the server without lots of head-scratching.

We also need a list of key config files, which will be added to our
autobackup system to ensure we have copies and some change tracking.

--
Dave Page