Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)" <rik(at)avaya(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails
Date: 2009-05-12 07:56:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)
<rik(at)avaya(dot)com> wrote:

> Dave,
> Should the installer be the user "postgres"?  I've installed both as
> "rik" (global domain) and "postgres" (local domain).  Each time
> installation fails to write the "conf" file in /data.  See below for
> answers to your questions.

No - the postgres user is created by the installer so you can't use it
to run the installer on the first installation. It also doesn't have
any administrative permissions which are required.

> - Is your computer on a domain?
> Yes
> - Is your user account a domain or local account?
> Domain account
> - Are you a local administrator, domain administrator or member of the
> power users group (or anything similar?)
> Local administrator and I added myself to power users.
> - Do you have permissions to write to each directory in the path
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data ?
> Yes
> - Is this an NTFS filesystem?
> Yes

So you have permission to write to those directories, but cacls fails
if you try to change the permissions on them. Weird.

Magnus; any ideas on what could cause this? I must admit, my Windows
management-fu is somewhat rusty these days.

--
Dave Page