Re: Feedback from recent training

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feedback from recent training
Date: 2009-04-24 08:47:41
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Thanks Simon - I've added these to the first page on our new project
Wiki at http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/wiki/FeedbackItems.

Some notes below as well.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> * Why is Primary Key on different dialog than columns? Want a check box
> to say that a column is the PK.

There is a planned redesign of the table dialogue that will achieve
this. Just need to find the time.

> * When you perform an action, why doesn't it refresh that aspect?

It should generally. When does it not?

> * Why are Schema Privs not shown on Grant Wizard for a specific Schema?
> When we click on a schema it shows only table privs for that schema.
> Schema privs must be accessed via Properties..Privileges tab, which is
> non-intuitive.

The wizard is designed to overcome lack of support for GRANT ... ON
ALL TO ALL etc. which some other DBMSs have. I think the schema was
excluded from the Wizard because it's a single object so doesn't
really need the wizard like 20 tables might. I can't say I'm wed to
that behaviour though - feel free to submit a patch!

> * Want option to make Login Roles appear on priv dialogs, not just Group
> Roles.

File -> Options -> Preferences -> Show users for privileges

> * Want to be able to use SERIAL and BIGSERIAL types for columns

You can, though I see they're at the end of the list (probably because
it lists types, array types and then the pseudo-types are added).

> * Disabling Rule object type visibility doesn't appear to work!?!

That option shouldn't be there, as we don't support hiding objects
down at that level. Removed.

> * Want to be able to specify ConnectionLimit for users via dialog

You can, though that may be new in 1.10 iirc.

--
Dave Page