Re: BUG #4691: Installation error

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Clark <gregwillclark(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4691: Installation error
Date: 2009-03-04 21:58:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:

>> initdb will bail out before it gets to that point if it can't find postgres.exe.
>
> Hmm.  Maybe the complaints actually come from failing to load some DLL
> that postgres.exe needs.

We don't delay-load anything, so we'd see the failure when initdb
calls find_other_exec to validate the version of postgres.exe. That
would fail, and initdb would abort. Besides - Windows always spits out
DLL not found messages in a message box for some annoying reason.

>> I'm wondering about the use of Windows Embedded. I'm not sure if
>> anyone has ever tested that - and personally I have no idea whether it
>> may be cut down in ways that may affect Postgres.
>
> ... which would fit with the missing-DLL theory.

I was wondering if there are limitations or incompatibilities in the
ipc apis for example.

--
Dave Page