Re: Server Status window work

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Status window work
Date: 2009-02-12 15:58:27
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Sorry - things got hectic again.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> I understand, and I agree with you. The application can split a
> wxAuiNotebook (with the Split() method). Unfortunately, we can't change
> its size, position, and contents. I'm afraid this widget won't allow us
> to do what we want.
>
> The only way left is to use multiple panes with one wxAuiNoteBook on
> each pane... and disallow the split stuff.

So essentially what we're saying is that we either cannot save the
layout, or we have to disable the only feature that makes it
worthwhile using wxAuiNotebook instead of wxNotebook? Bummer.

What about not using a notebook at all and just using 4 panels, like
we do on other forms? We can have toggle button on a button bar as
well as menu options to turn each pane on and off. that will allow
flexible layout within the form, or for sections to be un-docked into
their own Windows.

> They're already wrapped in a wxFlexGridSizer. I don't think we can do
> much with since. Perhaps a toolbar for each tab? but I don't really like
> this idea.

What about replacing the slider and text control with a combo box that
offers Don't refresh, ! second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1
minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour. That will be a
fixed size (and much smaller than the slider), and should be small
enough to fit a decent four-pane layout on an 800x600 window.

Thoughts?

--
Dave Page