Re: pgAgent: Log connection error message and initial connection

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAgent: Log connection error message and initial connection
Date: 2009-02-05 13:19:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Ashesh Vashi
<ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As per my discussion with Dave Page, I have modified pgagent:
>
> - Log connection error message no matter what the log level is.
> Introduced a LOG_WARN_EXT (EXTENDED WARNING), which will log
> messages as warning even without taking the LogLevel into
> consideration

OK.

> - If the initial connection attempt fails, it will loop, and
> retry a few times at the speed of the normal timing loop
> before giving up.

Hmm, I don't see any of the service code I expected to see for
Windows. At the moment when the service starts we start MainLoop() and
immediately tell the SCM that the service state is 'running'. What we
should do, is tell the SCM that the service is starting until the
primary connection is successful, and only then tell the SCM that
we're running. That way, the service will refuse to start if the
connection cannot be made, rather than starting and then stopping
again. It'll also mean that when starting the service manually, the
progress bar will be shown until the connection is established and we
know everything is good.

That's the code I mentioned I'd worked on in pg_ctl - in particular
look at the do_checkpoint related stuff in
test_postmaster_connection() which is how we tell the SCM that we're
still trying to startup.

--
Dave Page