Re: Import: about ODBC data source

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Quan Zongliang" <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Import: about ODBC data source
Date: 2009-01-14 12:57:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Quan Zongliang
<quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The wxWidgets framework has some classes relative to ODBC:
> wxDb/wxDbTable and so on.
> Them is controlled by identifier wxUSE_ODBC.
> Default is 0, that is, don't compiling with wxWidgets.
>
> My idea is only support this function (import from ODBC) under MS-Windows
> using Microsoft API. Although there is iODBC (http://www.iodbc.org)
> under Unix implemented the ODBC API.

iODBC is used on Mac, but in my experience, unixODBC is more popular
on Linux. I don't know what is used on Solaris or the BSDs. I'm not
keen on the idea of only offering functionality on one platform.

Without using wxUSE_ODBC, I don't see that you'll be able to do this
nicely in a cross platform way. I suppose you could allow the user to
select the ODBC driver libraries (eg. psqlodbc.so) directly, but that
will mean that DSNs can't be used.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

--
Dave Page