Re: SVN Commit by dpage: r7544 - in trunk/pgadmin3: . pgadmin/frm pgadmin/include/utils pgadmin/ui

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Quan Zongliang" <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SVN Commit by dpage: r7544 - in trunk/pgadmin3: . pgadmin/frm pgadmin/include/utils pgadmin/ui
Date: 2009-01-12 09:05:41
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Add an option to ignore server version mismatches with pg_dump/pg_dumpall/pg_restore.
>
> Why don't add this option to backup and restore dialogs?
> And use option in frmOptions as default value.
> I think it will make end users feel more convenient and more happy. ^_^

I don't want it to be too 'in your face'. It's an option that
generally shouldn't be used as it's potentially dangerous. That said,
perhaps it would make more sense to include on each dialogue, but
always defaulting to 'off' so the user is forced to select it every
time.

Unfortunately that would mean some redesigning of those 4 dialogues
which I don't really have the spare cycles for.

> Along with this topic,
> I had tried to use old-version pgadmin (1.6.3) connect to newer db (8.3 & 8.4).
> When click the schema node, get a error message complain
> column op.oprlsortop does not exist (maybe its name changed in newer version).
> Now, we have BackendMinimumVersion function to confirm backward-compatible.
> Clearly, it is needed that confirm forward-compatible.
> We can give a upper limit version to individual pgadmin version.
> When end users wanna connect to newer db, they will get a warning message or hint.

Good idea. I think a warning is fine - we shouldn't prevent operation entirely.

Can you work up a patch?

--
Dave Page