Re: Server Status window work

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Status window work
Date: 2009-01-06 22:18:21
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

>> * Replace the wxNotebook widget with the wxAuiNotebook so users can
>> close tabs and rearrange tabs order via drag-and-drop.
>>

> This is done in the attached patch. frmStatus.xrc should be removed, all
> the widgets are created in frmStatus.cpp.

Doesn't seem to make much difference on OS X. I certainly can't
rearrange tabs etc.

>> * Add the possibility to open many Server Status windows (we can
>> already do this with the SQL query tool) so a user can see many
>> reports at the same time.
>>

> Works too.

Yup.

>> * Add a dockable toolbar to enable changing connection server, timer
>> slider, filter and sort options.
>>

> I'm wondering if I should add this and a menubar. My idea is to work
> with panes and make it possible to add many panes in a same window. Each
> pane will handle one type of report : activity, locks, transactions,
> logfile.

Yep, could do - even if it just has a view & file menu.

>> * Colour coding for the backend lines. Say green for running OK, orange
>> for running, but with the query time being past a configurable limit,
>> blue for idle, and red when waiting for a lock etc.
>>

> Dave, this one is from you. Where do you want to put the configuration
> of the server status. In the options dialog already available? I add a
> notebookpage with all server status parameters?

That would seem sensible

>> * The ability to select a running backend, and copy the query straight
>> into a new query tool window (caveat: the stats command string may be
>> truncated, and still contain parameter placeholders).
>>
>> * Ability to select a backend process and display just the locks
>> it's holding, and the one it's waiting on.
>>

> For these two, a contextual menu seems a good choice. Other ideas?

Potentially difficult to use without a mouse - but you could add a
top-level menu option as well.

/D

--
Dave Page