Re: Patch: Add support for execution of jobs on a remote database

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Ashesh Vashi" <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Add support for execution of jobs on a remote database
Date: 2008-12-19 09:59:15
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Ashesh Vashi
<ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>   * Add an SQL function pgagent_schema_version() which returns an int
> (with a value of 3 for this version - we'll bump the package to
> 3.0.0).
>
> I thought of this options too. :)
> Shouldn't we return a text instead of integer x.x.x support?

I think we should tie the schema version to the major version number -
so if we change the schema, we also bump the major version. That way
we just need to represent the schema version with a single integer.

I suppose we could tie it to the major.minor version - so 3.0.x ==
300, 3.1.x == 301, 4.0 == 400 and so on. That at least means we could
change the schema in a minor release (which in pgAdmin/PostgreSQL
aren't actually that minor usually!). The downside of this scheme is
that it will be harder to set the macro in cmake.

> This might be useful in future release too.

Thats the idea :-)

--
Dave Page