Re: BUG #4581: Difficult uninstall

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Henrik(dot)Svensson(at)mydata(dot)se
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4581: Difficult uninstall
Date: 2008-12-15 16:45:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 4:40 PM, <Henrik(dot)Svensson(at)mydata(dot)se> wrote:
> Thanks Dave for your quick reply.
>
> So, as I understand it, the registry entries are left to simplify e.g. at
> reinstallation enabling skip of some steps in the wizard.
> The reason I was asking, is that I tried an application I have made on a
> number of persons, and that some of them forgot the password they set on
> the internal user (the DBO). The only way that I could come up with, was to
> reinstall PostgreSQL.
>
> Is there an other way?

Edit the pg_hba.conf file in the data directory, and add a line to
grant trusted access to the database. Then, tell the server to reload
it's configuration (the pause button on the services control panel
applet should do this), and login as postgres using pgAdmin or psql.
Change the password to something memorable, and then put pg_hba.conf
back how it was and reload the config again.

--
Dave Page