Re: BUG #4581: Difficult uninstall

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Henrik Svensson" <henrik(dot)svensson(at)mydata(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4581: Difficult uninstall
Date: 2008-12-15 15:52:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Henrik Svensson
<henrik(dot)svensson(at)mydata(dot)se> wrote:

> Bug reference: 4581
> Logged by: Henrik Svensson
> Email address: henrik(dot)svensson(at)mydata(dot)se
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1
> Operating system: Windows XP SP2
> Details:
>
> To remove PostgreSQL so you can reinstall it to my findings the following
> must be done:
> - Do "Control Panel" "Add Remove Programs" select "PostgreSQL 8.3" click
> "Remove". That's normal.

Yes.

> - Delete all files (still remaining??!!) under C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL.

They are still remaining because they are your data. You wouldn't want
them to be removed when upgrading I assume?

> - Remove the service-user postgres. The reinstall can't handle that this
> user exists (?!).

It could, but we have no way of knowing if you're using that user
account for something else - for example, a different version (or
distribution) of PostgreSQL. Running two in parallel is not uncommon
when performing a major upgrade. Removing the user account could
easily break other things quite horribly.

> - Delete all fields in the registry containing the substring postgre

Some keys are retained to tell any future (re)installation or minor
upgrade where to find the data that was left behind.

Your keyboard seems to be broken.

Regards, Dave.