Re: Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool)

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Csaba Együd <csegyud(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool)
Date: 2008-11-26 08:47:25
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:37 AM, Csaba Együd <csegyud(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> so you say I have no chance to use a session wide temp table from triggers
> because I can not create it before viewing data?
> Isn't there a way to run something before starting querying the data for
> table view? Imean it would be nice to be able to run a stored proc or any
> valid SQL statement in the session of View Data tool. If there is not,
> wouldn't it be good idea? It has minimal overhead and I think many people
> use temporary tables or have other depenencies influencing a given query.
> Hoping... :) Thank you.

In the 10+ years of pgAdmin, no-one has ever asked to have additional
SQL run by the View Data tool - what would be the point? You wouldn't
be able to have it create the temp table you want to view because you
need to know what table to view before you run the tool.

If you need that level of flexibility, then use the query tool where
you can create and use the temp table in one session. Failing that, if
you really want to use multiple tools on the same temp table, you'll
need to get someone in the community to implement global temp tables -
though really they're exactly the same as any other table (pretty much
the whole point of the temp table is that it's session-specific, and
isn't accessed through shared memory like regular tables).

--
Dave Page