Re: Download strategy

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Download strategy
Date: 2008-09-18 19:45:38
Lists: pgsql-www
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Robert Treat
<xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> wrote:

> You know, I find it arguable that it is "easier" to use the "postgresql" yum
> repository rather than the built in stuff in centos/rhel/fedora,

It's not that it's necessarily easier than running 'yum install xxx',
it's that it's easier than figuring that you need postgresql,
postgresql-devel, postgresql-docs, postgresql-libs, pgadmin3,
pljava....

A one-click package is also what the majority of people coming from a
commercial background are likely to be used to.

> and I'm not
> sure we should be promoting what is essentially a 3rd party system over the
> vendor supplied rpms.

Vendor supplied RPMs are not released in the timely fashion that
Devrim's are, nor do they have such a wide range of PostgreSQL
packages as far as I'm aware.

--
Dave Page