Re: Download links

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Chander Ganesan" <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Download links
Date: 2008-09-18 11:57:29
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com> wrote:
> It's unfortunate that I only get to check my archive for this list
> occasionally, otherwise I likely would have chimed in then. I understand
> that it might be too late to make such changes... I'm just wondering if
> that makes things more difficult for newer users in the long term, who might
> be able to actually get upgrades to their DB without having to go through a
> complex process (I'm not sure how the one-clicks are upgraded, but I assume
> they cannot just do the package manager type upgrade). This probably won't
> be a real "issue" until some kind of PostgreSQL DoS, Worm, or other attack
> emerges, where they find themselves without a clean upgrade method (unless
> they learn more PG stuff...).

They just run the latest version of the installer to upgrade - it
takes even fewer clicks than the initial install (about 4 iirc). I'm
building them as part of the postgresql.org release process, so there
will be no delays in getting new builds.

Also, please note that on OS X, the 'one-click' installer *is* the
platform standard. On there, it's MacPorts and Fink that are the
alternate technologies.

> Out of curiosity, do the one-click installers also have one-click
> uninstallers? That would be my other concern...

Yes.

--
Dave Page