Re: pgScript patch based on pgScript-1.0-beta-3

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Mickael Deloison" <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgScript patch based on pgScript-1.0-beta-3
Date: 2008-08-14 15:31:26
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Mickael Deloison <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> So I talked with Magnus. The simplest solution is fully integrated
> because I designed pgScript to be fully integrated. A library is the
> most difficult one.
> Therefore we chose fully integrated with a possibility to deactivate
> pgScript with a ./configure option if it is not wanted.
> And also give the possibility to build pgScript.exe standalone
> executable in xtra/pgscript.

Yeah, I chatted with Magnus as well. The conclusion we came to was to
have pgScript built as a static library under somewhere like
$SRC/pgscript-lib, with the CLI at $SRC/xtra/pgscript-cli/. They would
both be implemented as additional projects within the solution in
VC++, and as make targets on other platforms. The pgAdmin project
would gain a dependency on pgscript-lib of course.

Does that sound about right?

BTW, don't bother with the configure switch. We only add them (and
even then, extremely rarely) for fucntionality that might require
additional external dependencies. Because pgScript will be integrated
and can be ignored in the UI, I see no good reason to need to disable
it.

--
Dave Page