Re: mac install question

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "John DeSoi" <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "epicwinter(at)hotmail(dot)com" <epicwinter(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: mac install question
Date: 2008-07-24 20:24:19
Lists: pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM, John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2008, at 1:51 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Relative paths sound like the best solution to me, assuming they work.
>
> Relative paths work fine. I use this all the time for distributing psql. It
> looks something like this:
>
> install_name_tool -change /path/to/postgresql/lib/libpq.dylib
> @executable_path/../lib/libpq.dylib psql

Yeah, we do that in pgAdmin. In the installer though we have far more
executables and libraries in various locations, and scripting the
required changes (without hardcoding for specific filenames which is a
recipe for future bugs) will be much more tricky.

The other downside is that I won't be able to set the library install
name correctly of course. I'll have to change that to just the
filename.

--
Dave Page