Re: Support of INHERIT in existing tables (8.2+ releases)

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support of INHERIT in existing tables (8.2+ releases)
Date: 2008-07-14 08:21:44
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

> So, here is a patch to add support on adding inherited tables on already
> existing tables. The feature is available since PostgreSQL 8.2 release.
>
> Tested on Linux. It works fine there. I didn't check Win32 platform because
> I didn't change any xrc files :) Didn't check on Mac OS X either cause I
> don't have one (btw, I'm following ebay's Mac Mini list to get one soon).

Hmm, testing on 8.3.3 on Windows, I created parent and child table,
then tried to add parent to child's inherit list separately and got:

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "from"
LINE 1: ALTER TABLE child ADD COLUMN id Inherited from table ...

The actual SQL generated is:

ALTER TABLE child ADD COLUMN id Inherited from table parent;
ALTER TABLE child INHERIT parent;

Shouldn't it just be doing:

ALTER TABLE child INHERIT parent;

--