Re: BUG #4267: initdb fails

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Vadim Karacharsky" <sw(at)mail(dot)ru>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4267: initdb fails
Date: 2008-06-27 10:15:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
>> Hmm, interesting. Now I just need to figure out why...
>
> Process Monitor might come in handy here. If Vadim was to use it to record a
> trace of a successful initdb and of a failed one, you'd have a bit more
> information about what is actually happening to work with.

Yeah - unfortunately though recent experience with similar
hard-to-find bugs have not normally shown up in PM. They've been much
more subtle, usually requiring much poking around in Process Explorer
which is difficult to do via email.

If you can provide a Process Monitor trace of the failed initdb, it
would be useful to take a look Vadim - even if it just eliminates the
obvious problems.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

--
Dave Page