Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog
Date: 2008-06-18 08:53:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :
>>
>> When you open a properties dialogue, it gets passed a pointer to the
>> pgObject which it may use right up until it is closed. If you refresh
>> part of the tree, you delete and recreate all the pgObjects under the
>> node you refresh, so the dialogue can end up with a pointer to an
>> object that's been deleted.
>>

> OK, but this is already an issue.

Right, but my point is that this is going to make it more likely to occur.

I wonder if we need some reference counting on objects in the tree,
and only allow any kind of refresh if all child nodes have a ref count
of zero. I'm not entirely sure how we'd implement that.

> Here is patch revision 2. It creates a new textfield for the second SQL
> query, and it takes care of the refresh of the tree. This patch seems to
> resolve all issues I could find (apart from the one above).
>
> Comments?

- Can we only have the dual textboxes on the dialogues that actually
need them please?

- The 'do you want to lose your changes' prompt  should only be shown
if changes have actually been made.

- There is a drawing artifact on Mac. I may have to look at that after
you commit if you have no access to suitable hardware (maybe you can
get JPA to spring for a Mac Mini - they're nice and cheap :-p )

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Page