Re: connections

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: connections
Date: 2008-04-20 17:00:27
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Roberts, Jon <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com> wrote:

> Now my system is actually running Greenplum which means I have 16 more
> (17 total) connections per user's connection because each segment host
> running gets a connection.  So my measly 9 users actually are consuming
> 510 database connections!
> EnterpriseDB now has a similar product to Greenplum
> and I'm
> assuming it does the same thing.  It certainly does look that way based
> on the fact both products make use of parallel execution with shared
> nothing parallel database servers.

I'm awaiting confirmation from the lead architect, but I believe that
a single connection from pgAdmin will result in 1 connection to each
node in the cluster in GridSQL. However I believe there is also a
certain amount of pooling going on so I don't believe it's such a
problem. Besides.... that may be 16 connections in a 16 node system,
but each of those is a complete PostgreSQL/EnterpriseDB server capable
of handling as many connections as it could if it were a standalone
server (which could be hundreds or thousands), so it's no more an
issue than if you had a single server.

> I would greatly prefer if pgAdmin only created a connection if it needed
> to.  If a query window is busy and a user attempts to execute SQL while
> the other window is busy, then it would create a new session.  A simpler
> solution would be only to allow one connection per pgAdmin instance.

pgAdmin does only create connections when it needs to. The problem
that you're glossing over is determining when a connection is 'idle'
and could be reused. What of temporary tables, or even more basic
things like sequences which can display different characteristics the
first time they're used in a given session compared to subsequent

> Is this even on the radar for EnterpriseDB or pgAdmin users?  Is this
> even considered a problem?

No - it's not a problem that I've heard from anyone other than you
(and a few newbies who don't understand why we use multiple
connections), and it's certainly not something the GridSQL guys have
complained about, either internally in EnterpriseDB or out here in

Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK: