Re: (Maybe) helpful data surrounding crashes

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Erwin Brandstetter" <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: (Maybe) helpful data surrounding crashes
Date: 2008-04-01 07:57:48
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Erwin Brandstetter
<brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at> wrote:
> dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org wrote:
> > I've fixed the redundant %'s you mentioned, and fixed some other
> > subtle bugs that could have caused crashes in some specific
> > circumstances (got any objects with % in the name?). Not sure what
> > else to try unless you want to try getting intimate with a debugger
> > :-p
>
> Thanks for your attention to the details. I strictly stick to
> non-quoted-7Bit-ASCII-lowercase-letters-only-oldschool names, for I am
> afraid of ghosts. So, no, no % in my names. pgAdmin wouldn't get a
> chance to choke on % in comments or in the body of views or functions,
> would it?

No, shouldn't do.

> And even if I'd get all flirtatious with a debugger, which I don't have
> the time for right now, I'd still have to be able to reproduce the crash.

when you have a debugger installed it should offer you the chance to
debug as soon as it crashes. You'd just need the right debug symbols
to hand.

> P.S.: I do remember a crash case involving a '%' being sent through a
> "fprint variant" (rev. 5932), though. Ah, the old days! Beer was cheap
> and bugs reproducible back then ...

Err, yeah. That's kinda what I fixed yesterday (I found a few more cases :-( ).

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com