Re: Project proposal for Google Summer of Code

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Mickael Deloison" <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Project proposal for Google Summer of Code
Date: 2008-03-26 14:07:41
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Mickael Deloison <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a project proposal for Google Summer of Code that I want to
> discuss. As the work is already begun, I want to show a demonstration
> of what it can do.
>
> It is based on my last year work (pgUnitTest): a scripting language to
> insert random data in a database and test expected results.
>
> Basically the goal of the project is to refactor pgUnitTest scripting
> language to make it easy to use (mix of C and SQL) and integrate this
> work into pgAdmin3 (I mean provide a patch to integrate it to
> pgAdmin3) so as to make it more visible to the community.
>
> Here is the demonstration:
> http://pgunittest.projects.postgresql.org/pgUnitTest.swf
>
> What do you think about that?

Hi Mickael,

A couple of things spring to mind. I assume the scripts are all parsed
and executed on the client, rather than the server? If so, that seems
pretty cool, but perhaps would be more appropriate in pgAdmin as a
generic tool that happens to be useful for unit testing amongst other
things.

The other thought I had was that the demo looks either extremely well
mocked up, or you've done a large percentage of the work already. Is
that the case?

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com