Re: Complete breakdown of pgadmin when trying to connect to server or modify properties of tables of views

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: michael(dot)eschweiler(at)t-online(dot)de
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Complete breakdown of pgadmin when trying to connect to server or modify properties of tables of views
Date: 2008-03-08 09:51:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Michael

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Michael Eschweiler
<Michael(dot)Eschweiler(at)t-online(dot)de> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Once more my mail from yesterday. It was stalled by the admin - I suppose
> because of the attached log file mentioned above. If you wish I could send it
> to your private mail address...

You're welcome to CC me on any replies - in fact thats the custom on
these lists. However, as I am the list admin I have seen and released
your message, it just didn't get to the top of my todo list until now
:-)

> Many thanks for quick answer!

You're welcome.

> > - Run pgAdmin from the command line, with a command like:
> > G_SLICE=always-malloc pgadmin3 &
> This works fine

Good, so we have a workaround and know for sure what the problem is.

> > - Recompile pgAdmin.
> That's what I tried, too. Sorry, forgot to mention it. I downloaded the
> source-rpm for my distribution and installed it. Controlling all the
> requirements mentioned in the INSTALL file I found installed

Did you compile wxwidgets your self, or is that a package for Suse
10.2? It's quite probable that needs to be recompiled against the
newer GTK libraries as well (sorry, didn't cross my mind yesterday)

> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.

That's a standard configure test that's failing. The important part of
the log is this:

configure:2279: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2282: gcc -O2 -g -m32 -march=i586 -mtune=i686
-fmessage-length=0 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 conftest.c -lldap >&5
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.1.2/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld:
cannot find -lldap
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:2285: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h. */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "pgadmin3"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "pgadmin3"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.8.2"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "pgadmin3 1.8.2"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org"
| #define PACKAGE "pgadmin3"
| #define VERSION "1.8.2"
| /* end confdefs.h. */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
| ;
| return 0;
| }
configure:2324: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Basically it's trying to compile the very short program shown and
failing with the error:

/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.1.2/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld:
cannot find -lldap

That appears to be because further down in the log we see the LIBS
variable is set to -lldap which causes the linker to try to import
libldap.. I don't know why that is the case - it's certainly not
something pgAdmin does. I would clear the variable, and try again. If
you find it's being set by rpmbuild, try installing libldap - it won't
hurt pgAdmin.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com