Re: Complete breakdown of pgadmin when trying to connect to server or modify properties of tables of views

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: michael(dot)eschweiler(at)t-online(dot)de
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Complete breakdown of pgadmin when trying to connect to server or modify properties of tables of views
Date: 2008-03-07 12:12:45
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Michael Eschweiler
<Michael(dot)Eschweiler(at)t-online(dot)de> wrote:
> Hi there,
> On opensuse 10.2 I installed postgresql and pgadmin from the distribution.
> Postgresql 8.1.11
> pgadmin3 1.6.3
> Recently I found that pgadmin didn't work properly: It opened the connection
> to the server and to a particular database, I can see the data of the tables
> and views but when I tried to modify for example a view pgadmin shut
> completely. So I downloaded and installed the last version of pgadmin for my
> distribution but it's all the same. In order to be sure that there is no
> problem with the older configuration of pgadmin I moved the .pgadmin file so
> that pgadmin could create a new one. But with this pgadmin doesn't even
> connect to the server, the program shuts down directly.
> Starting pgadmin as a normal user in a console I get the error message:
> Speicherzugriffsfehler (Segmentation fault)
> Doing the same as root I got the following messages:
>
> *** glibc detected *** pgadmin3: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x0906a270

There were some changes made in GTK which are incompatible with builds
of pgAdmin against earlier versions. It sounds like you hit this bug
(which is currently known to affect Suse and Ubuntu). Try one of the
following to fix it:

- Run pgAdmin from the command line, with a command like:

G_SLICE=always-malloc pgadmin3 &

If that works, you can write a small shell script to do it, and point
your desktop shortcuts at that.

- Recompile pgAdmin.

--
Dave Page