Re: User Wiki

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL - WWW ML" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: User Wiki
Date: 2008-02-25 10:39:17
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> > You know, a group of people gave up on -www ever conceding this and
> > created its own wiki? We were keeping it quiet because we didn't have
> > all the template work etc.. done. It is over at www.postgresqldocs.org.
>
> Regardless of the above, my question would be:
>
> What is the purpose of wiki.postgresql.org? We already have a wiki at
> developer.postgresql.org.

You are well aware that that is a developer resource, specifically not
intended as a user site.

You are also correct that for a long time we didn't want a user wiki,
as we (particularly Magnus) had worked hard on techdocs and had other
concerns about how a wiki would work. However, we are not so arrogant
as to refuse to consider the possibility that we've got things wrong,
and given the recent discussion on -general (or was it -docs) as well
as a discussion I had with Greg Smith a while back and some comments I
heard at FOSDEM, I decided to propose that we revisit that decision.

On the other hand you decided that instead of proposing the same thing
here and arguing a case (which frankly wouldn't have taken much effort
as I for one am already hacked off with techdocs) you'd just go and
develop your own site - something you're more than welcome to do that
if you like, and in which I wish you luck. Be aware though that we
will be addressing this issue within the projects normal web/sysadmin
groups as well, and provisioning and integrating whatever solution is
selected within the existing online infrastructure.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company