Re: BUG #3947: Unable to Initialize Data Cluster

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Lee Ottaway" <lee(at)fusionsoftwareuk(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3947: Unable to Initialize Data Cluster
Date: 2008-02-09 18:54:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Feb 9, 2008 5:52 PM, Lee Ottaway <lee(at)fusionsoftwareuk(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> Bug reference: 3947
> Logged by: Lee Ottaway
> Email address: lee(at)fusionsoftwareuk(dot)co(dot)uk
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.0
> Operating system: Vista Home Premium
> Details:
>
> There appears to a problem installing the new 8.3 installer package. We've
> only tested it on Vista so far but it definitely doesn't. At the point that
> it has to initialize the data cluster it reports an error when doint initdb
> = 1 with "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
> configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more
> detail."

We've had an earlier report of this which we've so far failed to pin
down the cause for. The runtimes it's complaining about are included
in the installer as a merge module produced by Microsoft and included
as part of the 'base' feature so it really should work (though you
might need to list base in your list of features when runing the
silent install).

Does this happen on more than one machine?

Does manually installing the runtimes help?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&DisplayLang=en

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company