Re: Fwd: Filter by Selection on Grid

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: robins(at)pobox(dot)com
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Filter by Selection on Grid
Date: 2008-02-04 12:25:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

On Feb 1, 2008 4:38 AM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The good part is that now the patch does the following:
> 1. Provide options for 'Filter by Selection' / 'Filter Excluding Selection'
> / 'Remove Filter'
> 2. Takes care if cells have NULL value
> 3. Takes multiple Include / Exclude selections and refreshes automatically

Looks good :-)

Some minor comments:

- the _() macro is used for strings that need translation, so please
use wxT() for those that don't, such as parts of SQL queries.

- I think we should have the menu options on a new Tools menu as well
(we normally duplicate context menu options onto the main menu for
accessibility reasons). We should probably move the Sort/Filter option
onto there as well.

> Limitations that I plan to remove soon:
> 1. The cell chosen is the 'Selected cell' and that may not be the one
> right-clicked. I'd change that soon.

Yeah - I've actually been thinking that for various reasons we might
want to have the active cell follow the mouse clicks and row/column
selections anyway.

> 2. I am unable to evaluate strings if they are Empty, so
> including/excluding empty-cells (not NULLs) doesn't do anything !
> Frustrating ! May be I just need a break, a bit of reading and I'll get that
> done soon as well!

Don't forget that empty strings are displayed as '' (two single
quotes), and a string that actually is two single quotes is \'\'.
You'll need to allow for those when building your filters.

> In case this patch is considered by and large fine, and in case you are ok
> with more additions, I'll try adding more features in the right click menu
> (Filter by Custom String / Sort options etc..) similar to what we have in
> the Access UI.

I look forward to it :-)

Thanks, Dave