Re: BUG #3897: plJava dll still doesn't load for 8.3RC2

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "David JL Gradwell" <David(at)gradwell(dot)com>
Cc: "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3897: plJava dll still doesn't load for 8.3RC2
Date: 2008-01-28 09:42:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Jan 28, 2008 9:33 AM, David JL Gradwell <David(at)gradwell(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for the help. I have now got pljava working fine on 8.3RC2 and have
> re-run all my tests against RC2. On a database with a data structure of
> 100+ tables and about 15 views with extensive (20+ per view) unions the
> performance is far better than 8.1 and better than 8.2.6, even on a small
> test machine.

Good news :-)

> Coming back to pljava, I've still had problems with the error messages
> (which seem to be the wrong way round!)and am happy to see if I can improve
> them for the benefit of others. Specifically:
>
> a) "ERROR: Failed to create Java VM (SQL State is 'XX000')" when
> calling sqlj.install_jar actually means that pljava.classpath in
> postgresql.conf is either not set or not set correctly and hence pljava.jar
> can not be found. pljava.classpath could be defaulted to "C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\share\pljava" in the installation.

I'll leave that one for Kris or one of the other Java guys. I've
written maybe a dozen lines of Java code in my entire life!

> b) 'ERROR: could not load library "C:/pljava/pljava.dll": The specified
> module could not be found.' on
> CREATE FUNCTION sqlj.java_call_handler()
> RETURNS language_handler AS 'pljava'
> LANGUAGE C;
> Means (as you said) that the jvm.dll can not be loaded and that the DOS PATH
> doesn't include "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\jre\bin\client" or
> similar.

Thats a generic messages raised by PostgreSQL when it fails to load a
library - unfortunately I don't think there's not much that can be
done to improve things there, at least without some horribly platform
specific hacks.

Regards, Dave.