Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes
Date: 2008-01-15 08:50:03
Lists: pgeu-general

On 14/01/2008, damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info> wrote:

> Either way this is becoming more complex. If i understand clearly what you
> mean, every local user group has to provide a web page or another way for the
> members to say wether or not they want to be part of the European Group, and
> probably a way to modify that information if they change their mind.
>
> As far as i understand the European Association will also have to provide such
> tools to its individual members. So instead of duplicating all this work, why
> not centralizing everything in a single application form managed by PGEU ?

We could it that way round - but it would still require the data
transfer you mention below.

> I see another issue with that "not-so-automatic" membership for the members of
> the local groups. If we do that, we will have to synchronize the member
> lists on a regular basis from the local groups to the European group. I know
> this is piece of cake for lots of people here, but is it necessary ?

If we don't automatically maintain the dual membership, I can see us
rapidly getting into a situation where some people try to join PG-EU,
some their local group, and some both. Many users that are less
passionate than us probably won't bother to join 2 users groups, so we
end up with a situation where the local and EU groups are effectively
in competition with each other for the membership.

/D