Purpose of the European PostgreSQL Group

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Purpose of the European PostgreSQL Group
Date: 2008-01-14 09:29:36
Lists: pgeu-general
It's clear from the the discussion last night that there is some
confusion about the purpose of the European Group (let's call it PG-EU
for now). I believe it is important that it's purpose is defined
before we agree to the rules and statutes, to ensure they are
appropriate.

The following outline is how I see the role of PG-EU, based on our
meeting in Prato last year and the discussion last night:

****************
PG-EU is a European organisation with two main focal areas:

** Umbrella organisation

PG-EU will act as a parent organisation for regional user groups that
choose to join. They will gain:

- Access to standardised flyers and other texts for distribution
- The ability to bulk purchase swag  as part of a group, giving
savings through economy of scale.
- Financial & banking services (similar to those provided by SPI).
- The ability to work with other user groups easily to ensure unified
and consistent message across the European PostgreSQL community.

Membership of a group in PG-EU would be paid for through an annual
subscription, based on the number of members of the regional group.
Each member of the regional group is automatically given a membership
in PG-EU that allows them to vote and participate in PG-EU affairs.

** User organisation

PG-EU will act as a user group in countries lacking a regional group
that is part of PG-EU. Users that choose to join will gain similar
benefits to those they might receive from regional user groups, such
as newletters, discounted access to conferences etc.

Users in countries with a regional group that is part of PG-EU, must
join that group through which they can participate in PG-EU.

Users that join PG-EU directly because they have no regional group to
join are subject to an annual membership fee.

Does that sound reasonable to everyone? If not, what should change and
why? Let's discuss this and agree on a purpose statement on which to
base our future efforts.

Regards, Dave

pgeu-general by date

Next:From: Jean-Paul ArgudoDate: 2008-01-14 09:39:40