Re: Text column with large amounts of data

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Kieran McCusker" <kieran(dot)mccusker(at)kwest(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Text column with large amounts of data
Date: 2008-01-04 14:52:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

On 04/01/2008, Kieran McCusker <kieran(dot)mccusker(at)kwest(dot)info> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I know there is already a known issue in the GRD for columns with a
> large amount of data but is it known that the same problem appears in
> the query window?

Yes, it will.

> I am using postgresql to capture email content (in a text field) and it
> is impossible to use pgadmin to browse the table in either the grid or
> query window. I'm using pgadmin 1.8.1 and postgresql 8.2.5.

How big are the emails? Normally when people run into issues in either
tool it's will individual values running into multiple-megabytes
(multiplied by however many rows are loaded).

> I was wondering if it would not be possible to only put something like
> the first line/first 1kb/etc of characters into the grid? (The rest
> could be loaded if the user clicks into the field)

See the 'Max characters per column' option on the Query tab of the
Options dialogue (http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/options-tab3.html).
This will only affect the query tool, not the edit grid (where the
whole point is that the actual data be edited, not a summary).

Regards, Dave