Re: PosgreSQL is crashing with a signal 11 - Bug?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rafael Martinez Guerrero <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
Cc: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(at)ifi(dot)uio(dot)no>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PosgreSQL is crashing with a signal 11 - Bug?
Date: 2004-09-13 14:11:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Rafael Martinez Guerrero <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no> writes:
> To me this looks like a cache somewhere that upon read contained some
> incorrect data. This cache was somehow flushed two-hours later, and
> fresh data was read from disk.

Very possible.

> Could this be postgres problem, or is it hardware/kernel related?

I'd wonder about bad RAM in the address range that the kernel uses for
disk block caching. Or we could return to the theory I suggested a
bit ago: once in a while the disk controller messes up the last byte
of a transfer.

> The problems started about a week ago after stable production for
> about 9 months.

If you hadn't changed any software immediately beforehand, then that
sure sounds like hardware going bad.