Re: Showing debug messages in my C function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jorge Arevalo <jorgearevalo(at)gis4free(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Showing debug messages in my C function
Date: 2010-04-13 20:04:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Jorge Arevalo <jorgearevalo(at)gis4free(dot)org> writes:
> I'm sorry, because this may be a simple question: I'm programming a C
> function that returns a set (PostgreSQL 8.4). The function crash, and
> I'm trying to
> debug it. I've read:

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/xfunc-c.html
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/error-message-reporting.html
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-logging.html

> but I can't see any of my log messages.

Seems likely to me that the function is crashing before it gets to any
of the elog calls; which would most likely be a problem in linking or in
declaring the function. Did you remember to use the
PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1() macro? Try writing a trivial function that only
does an elog and see what it takes to get that to work.