Re: Hash Join Optimization

From: "Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "ITAGAKI Takahiro" <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers list" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hash Join Optimization
Date: 2008-03-30 10:32:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM, ITAGAKI Takahiro <
itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> "Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > I think the creation of minimal_tuple in the middle is a overhead which
> can
> > be avoided by creating a mem-map and directly creating the minimal_tuple
> in
> > the mem-map.
>
> Many implementations of mem-map disallow to extend the sizes.
> Do you have any solution about extending the mmap-ed region?

No. i think the solution would be to unmap and remap it. But since the mmap
is local to the backend, this should not be a problem.

> > Since Hash join is used mainly to join huge tables, this might
> > benefit those warehouse customers of postgres.
>
> If we use mmap, we will be restricted by virtual memory size.
> It means we need to drop huge tempspace supports in 32bit platform, no?

Yes you are right here. i am in the mood of 64 bit platforms. In 32 bit
platform this might need more work. Selectively mapping and unmapping
portions of the file, based on necessity.

But my aim here is to avoid two copying. HeapTuple -> MinimalTuple and
MinimalTuple -> file. Suggestions are welcome..

Thanks,
Gokul.