Re: Including Snapshot Info with Indexes

From: "Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Csaba Nagy" <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Including Snapshot Info with Indexes
Date: 2007-10-12 06:29:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi All,
So i think we are clear now, that it is possible to have an index
with snapshot info. Let me try to enumerate the uses of having the Index
with snapshot info, in comparison to the Dead Space Map.

a) Dead Space, if it is successfull in its implementation of what it claims,
will have the means to point out that all the tuples of certain chunks are
frozen for registered relations and registered chunks. There would be lot of
blocks which won't fall under this category.
i) For example, if the records are newly inserted, that block
can't be marked as containing all frozen tuples.