Re: refactoring comment.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kevin(dot)grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: refactoring comment.c
Date: 2010-08-28 01:35:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Didn't we inject some smarts so that the compiler would notice that
> elog(ERROR) doesn't return?

No.  If you know a portable (as in "works on every compiler") way
to do that, we could talk.  If only some compilers understand it,
we'll probably end up worse off --- the ones that don't understand it
will still need things like these unreachable assignments, while the
ones that do understand will start warning about unreachable code.