Re: Scheduling a backup job (was: pgAdmin III v1.4.3 released)

From: Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Christian Hozee" <Christian(dot)Hozee(at)rivm(dot)nl>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Scheduling a backup job (was: pgAdmin III v1.4.3 released)
Date: 2006-07-20 17:29:52
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 20/07/06, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
> Please post support request to the list, and don't hi-jack
> innappropriate subjects!

I imagine he is talking about scheduled jobs à la Oracle Enterprise
Manager. I have to admit it would make postgres admin à lot more
attractive for bosses like mine - they want point and click... I have
set up a postgres database which (apart from stupid design and
implementation mistakes) runs damn well. The only problem is that
there aren't any open source tools that perform the same range of
functions as any of the big three Enterprise Managers.
Would it be that hard to integrate a ssh client and a basic gui
interface to cron/postgres? Sure *nix only (I'm sure a windows module
could be developped also) but who would run postgres on a windows
machine anyway!?!
I know that is one of the major reasons that is stopping our company
from using postgres for most of our internal projects - I am basically
the only one with a real knowledge (and even that is stretching the
truth somewhat!) of the *nix command line and no one at all knows
about cron and whatnot.
Just some thoughts,
Cheers
Antoine

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.