Re: network saturation

From: Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: network saturation
Date: 2006-01-27 11:09:25
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On 27/01/06, Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz> wrote:

> > > We have a fully switched 100mbps network, and communication between
> > > clients running vb6 apps via odbc (08.01.02, i.e., the latest stable)
> are
> > > taking up from 20 to 40% of the bandwidth - per APP!. The server is
> > > 8.1.1running on mandrake 10.1.
>
> You forgot specify the client OS ;-)

Yeah, windows xp (I think we have one with no SP, and the rest with SP1). We
have some win2000 sp4s but they don't run the offending app (rather other
ones that don't show the problem).

But the network bandwidth isn't
> psqlODBC related. We use libpq for communication with backend.
>
> I have seen similar problem a few days ago and Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> | We've seen this a couple of times before with Windows 2000, but it's
> | always been slow in both psql and pgadmin then ;-) Search the archives,
> | there's something about the QoS driver.

I looked and it didn't seem particularly related, seeing as they are XP
boxen.
CPU usage for the postgres machine is also very high, getting regularly up
to 50% for a single connection. I will try a vacuum full but I am pretty
sure that won't make much difference. Maybe it is related to network
traffic?
I will have a look with ethereal and see what I can gather.
Chrs
Antoine

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.