network saturation

From: Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: network saturation
Date: 2006-01-27 09:14:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hi,
We have a fully switched 100mbps network, and communication between clients
running vb6 apps via odbc (08.01.02, i.e., the latest stable) are taking up
from 20 to 40% of the bandwidth - per APP!. The server is 8.1.1 running on
mandrake 10.1.
The offending apps are not coded well but this is just enormous. Even worse,
the apps do an OCR which takes about 5 seconds (during which no db access
takes place) and for some reason it seems there is still a lot of traffic
(we have HP switches and port usage NEVER falls below 15%).
Can anyone shed some light on this? When 4+ apps start hitting the db
performance starts to degrade quite considerably.
Cheers
Antoine

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: AntoineDate: 2006-01-27 09:20:37