Re: left outer join only select newest record

From: "Oliveiros d'Azevedo Cristina" <oliveiros(dot)cristina(at)marktest(dot)pt>
To: "Gary Stainburn" <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: left outer join only select newest record
Date: 2012-05-23 10:29:27
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello again, Gary,

I don't know if this query works OK, i havent tried it.

But, If I understood correctly this can be one way to do what you want.
Could you please tell me if it worked and if it didn't why, so we can tweak
it.

Best,
Oliver

SELECT subq.s_stock_no,subq.s_regno,subq.s_vin,subq.s_created,subq.m,
sec.s_creacted
FROM
(select s_stock_no, s_regno, s_vin, s_created, MAX(ud_id) as m
from stock s
left outer join used_diary u
on s.s_regno = u.ud_pex_registration
where s_stock_no = 'UL15470';
GROUP s_stock_no,s_regno,s_vin,s_created
) subq
JOIN
used_diary sec
ON subq.m = sec.ud_id