Re: transaction and triggers

From: Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gerardo Herzig" <gherzig(at)fmed(dot)uba(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transaction and triggers
Date: 2008-01-18 14:42:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

2008/1/18, Gerardo Herzig <gherzig(at)fmed(dot)uba(dot)ar>:
> Hi all. Im puzzled again. Just thinking:
>
> As im having fun trying to make my own replication system, im stuck in
> this situation:
> Consider a simple table with a unique index on the `id' field, and a
> function who will fail, such as
>
> insert into test (id) values (1);
> insert into test (id) values (1);
>
> This will fail and the transaction will be rollback'ed, but as the basis
> of my replication system is on row level triggers, the first time the
> insert is called, the trigger will be executed, and i will like to be
> able to stack the triggers in some way, in order to be fired only after
> a succesfull execution of the hole function.

If the transaction is rolled back, changes made by your trigger to
local database will be also canceled.

Unless you make any manipulation on remote databases, you have no problem.

Any changes made to remote databases, for example if you call some
dblink functions, are not transactional, and will not be rolled back.

In this case you have to rethink your design, as there is no "ON
COMMIT" trigger (yet?)

--
Filip Rembiałkowski