Re: PostgreSQL 9.0alpha4: openSolaris 10 x86 snv_134: configure issues: C compiler cannot create executables

From: Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-testers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Bjorn Munch <Bjorn(dot)Munch(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.0alpha4: openSolaris 10 x86 snv_134: configure issues: C compiler cannot create executables
Date: 2010-03-26 19:41:08
Lists: pgsql-testers
Josh,

Many thanks for getting back. Some new information to add to the mix:

Imagine, if you will, that our openSolaris 10 x86 snv_134 is a very 'standard' install of the OS.

On top of it, we've added key packages from Steve Christensen's SunFreeware - into /usr/local -
and then favored those applications/libraries within the environment with:

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

This brought us to my last email: C compiler cannot create executables.

Stubbornly (and granted, academically at this point), we've been trying to find what tools may be missing, and have installed a few which may be needed - to achieve the build without SunStudio. All the usual suspects are there in /usr/local/bin: grep, ar, awk, gcc, sed, readline, perl - and ld. What other(s) may we be missing?

Still, could not get a successful compile.

- I did install SunStudio12u1 and, (you know where this is headed!)

PostgreSQL configures and builds beautifully! So, is it safe to assume configure is 'finding' one or more tools outside of /usr/local? Probably...?

...strangely, though, configure still reports it's using Solaris ld, even though --with-gnu-ld has been specified:

checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/ccs/bin/ld

checking if the linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no

- - - - But now, to make things a bit more complicated: The real point to the whole exercise:

Is to build and run PostgreSQL inside an open Solaris ipkg-branded zone. To effect this test, a simple zone has been set up with /usr/local as a loopback (lofs) device. Of course, this zone doesn't 'see' anything in the /opt path.

As in the root zone, configure starts to fail at about line 3316:

configure:3316: gcc conftest.c >&5

ld: fatal: file values-Xa.o: open failed: No such file or directory

ld: fatal: file processing errors. No output written to a.out

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

suggesting to me that I've got one or two utilities missing. I'll have to develop my script reading skills to deconstruct this; meanwhile... Hoping Zdenek or Bjorn will have an idea. Wonder if there's a way to direct configure to gnu-ld directly?

Yes, a very long email - but hopefully this will be useful to others moving down the same road...

Regards, Lou Picciano

---

On 3/26/10 7:18 AM, Lou Picciano wrote:
> Or is using SunStudio a must on openSolaris?

In my experience? Yes.

However, cc'ing Zdenek and Bjorn who have way more Solaris-compile-fu
than me.

-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://www.pgexperts.com

pgsql-testers by date

Next:From: Josh BerkusDate: 2010-03-28 20:41:25