Re: Really really slow select count(*)

From: Bob Lunney <bob_lunney(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Really really slow select count(*)
Date: 2011-02-16 19:20:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Ross,

Way off topic now, but from my time programming electrical meters I can tell you pulling the meter from its socket is potentially an extremely dangerous thing to do. If there is a load across the meter's poles the spark that results on disconnect could kill the puller instantly. (You don't want to know what happens if the person isn't killed.)

I don't know what property your admin type is trying to protect, but I'm inclined to let it burn and live to work through the insurance collection process.

Oh, and +1 for timed escalation of a shutdown.

Bob Lunney